It’s Not Just About Swallowing
with Melanie Potock, MA, CCC-SLP
June 8 – 9, 2018
Falls Church, VA,
just outside of beautiful Washington, DC
Written & Presented by Melanie Potock.
This 2 Day Training is open to:
- Occupational Therapists
- Speech Language Therapists
- Registered Dietitians
- Board Certified Behavior Analysts
- Nurse Practitioners
This course is offered for 13 NAPNAP Contact Hours for Nurse Practitioners, 1.3 ASHA CEUs and 1.3 AOTA CEUs. (Intermediate level, Professional area).
Looking for a similar course for parents? Email us at [email protected] and you will be the first to know when one is scheduled.
This unique 2-day course benefits pediatric speech language therapists, occupational therapists, psychologists, pediatricians and dieticians interested in the bigger picture pertaining to pediatric feeding disorders.
Therapists want strategies to implement right away with their clients.
- Why do children have trouble eating?
- How are physiology, motor skills and behavior linked and how do the basic principles of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) strengthen that connection?
- How do family dynamics and parenting styles influence progress?
- Why is it that a child eats well in the clinic setting but cannot generalize those skills to the home and school?
This course answers those questions, provides practical strategies to implement with a variety of clients, and focuses on setting children up for success for meeting functional objectives while utilizing the supportive, gentle premise of ABA.
Most importantly, this course emphasizes the importance of keeping the fun in feeding while developing consistent positive behaviors at mealtimes so that everyone in the family can enjoy their time together around the family table!
Upon completing the 2-day seminar, participants will be able to:
- Discuss how protective behaviors develop when GI discomfort, sensory processing challenges, delayed gross and/or fine motor skills impact a child’s willingness to eat.
- Apply the basic, gentle principles of Applied Behavior Analysis to the treatment of pediatric feeding clients .
- List 5 strategies for improving tongue mobility and developing mature swallowing patterns in children.
- Describe how to teach the following skills to toddlers and older: biting, chewing, swallowing independently, straw and open cup drinking
- Implement a hierarchical method of problem solving to meet functional outcomes.
- Understand how to problem solve new challenges with future clients by systematically breaking the task into smaller steps and teaching one step at a time.
Thank you to our Gold Sponsor, TalkTools! Be sure to visit the TalkTools website to learn about their mission to improve lives of those facing speech & feeding challenges.
CURRENT RATE – EARLY BIRD
Early Bird (Booked and Paid by March 9th 2018) – $350
Regular Fee (From March 9th to June 8th, 2018) – $400
$50 processing fee is non-refundable if cancelled after 24 hours of signing up. After June 5th no refunds will be given.
Course fees are inclusive of
- Access to the 2 Day Training Course on June 8th and 9th, 2018.
- A copy of Melanie’s Book, ‘Raising a Healthy Happy Eater,’ co-authored by Dr. Nimali Fernando MD, MPH
- 110 Page Course Manual
- Breakfast provided on both days
- Lunch provided on Friday, June 8, prepared and provided by the Doctor Yum Project.
Special lunchtime appearance by Dr. Nimali Fernando, founder of the Doctor Yum Project.
This course will be held on the first floor at the EpicCare Training Center, 8111 Gatehouse Rd, Falls Church, VA 22042.
Parking available on site.
Rooms are available next door to the the training center at the:
8125 Gatehouse Rd,
Falls Church, VA 22042
Book under “The Doctor Yum Project” block to receive the discounted rate. The block room rate expires May 21.
Register online or by phone
To register by phone, please call the Doctor Yum Project at 540-751-3359 and send your check payment to:
The Doctor Yum Project
10482 Georgetown Drive, Suite B
Spotsylvania, VA 22553
For online registration, please complete the form below.
Proceeds from this course benefit for Doctor Yum project, a 501c3, nonprofit organization.